Thursday, July 25, 2013

The 8km Challenge

The Philippine National Bank had their 97th anniversary fun-run last Saturday at Macapagal Boulevard in Pasay City. Of course, my husband (a PNB employee) and I, together with some our friends, who didn't want to miss out the opportunity to test our endurance and speed, joined the event. The registration fee was quite cheap and the route was easy to follow. We were given two choices: 4km or 8km. I initially signed up for the 4km route since I'm just starting out with this new sport that I realized I enjoy so much. So 2 weeks prior to this run, I prepared myself physically and mentally for what I thought was the only distance (I'm talking about the 4km here) that I will conquer after the 3km that I did. Little did I know that peer pressure will get the best of me. 

My sister-in-law, Therese, Me and Alison's girlfriend, Jessica

The event was said to start at 6:00 am so we were there at around 5:00am. We camped out the night before at Alison's place with no electricity. We were lodging for free so we have no right to complain! Haha (FYI: Alison's place was unoccupied for more or less 2 months so that explains the lack of electricity. But because our friend here is so clever, he was able to provide 3 decent fan running and one lamp to lighten up the night. Talk about being resourceful!) The lack of electricity was also the reason why we were up early that morning and found ourselves nervously stretching and warming up.


The Sevillas

We were given free singlets and ribbons to indicate the distance that we'll be running. Blue ribbons for PNB employees who would be running 8km, red ribbons for PNB employees who would be running 4km, yellow and blue for non-PNB employees who would be running 8km, and yellow and red for non-PNB employees who would be running 4km. Madz and I had the red and yellow ribbons. 


Alison together with the husband

The twist of fate: See the picture above? Alison asked me to keep his ribbons (blue and yellow) for a while as he pose for the picture. I absentmindedly hand it over to Jessica and she wore it on her neck and later on forgot about it. When Alison went looking for it, we concluded that maybe someone mistakenly took it so we told him to ask for another set instead. Few minutes before the start, we later found it around Jessica's neck. That's when the peer pressure began. They all encouraged me to try the 8km since we thought the that only identifier are the ribbons and no proper documentation was being made during the registration. So I hid the red ribbon and prayed hard that I can make it to the finish line alive!

Me halfway along the route. Photo grabbed from Running Photographers.

The 4km route was Buendia - Roxas - EDSA - Macapagal Boulevard while for the 8km route, you need to make 2 rounds of the 4km route. I was actually thinking of changing my blue ribbon into red during the first round. But after seeing the finish line, I felt ecstatic and energized that I eventually continued. Fueled by determination (and pride), I was able to finish the race at 1 hour and 13 minutes. It was a good record, I think, considering that I wasn't running the whole time. There were periods in which I tend to walk or jog slowly, but nevertheless, I was not the last one to reach the finish line.

Me nearing the 8km finish line. Yahoo! Photo grabbed from Running Photographers.

After the race, we were served with super yummy (or was I just waaay too hungry?Chicken Arrozcaldo and some overflowing supply of mineral water. The PNB annual bazaar officially opened after the event. We didn't try to look around since we were all exhausted and FULFILLED.

The husband and me after the run.

Madz and I.

The siblings.

The lovers. Photo grabbed from Running Photographers.

Photo grabbed from Photo Options.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

© The Lady with a Pink Pen, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena