Monday, April 29, 2013

Gourmet Masterpieces by Appetite Magazine and Megaworld Lifestyle Malls

I don't know how to begin. It's my first time to join a food event and I have no idea how to describe the whole experience. First I was so overwhelmed with excitement when I saw the showcase of food. Then I had the momentary urge to throw up when the models started to walk the runway (talk about slim figures and oh lalah bodies). But that was only for a brief period, the free flowing of enticing food eventually won and I ended up with a handful at the end of the event. I had to thank my friend, Madz of Pigout Sessions, for bringing me along.

The event was a combination of food, art and designers' gown. That explained why there were models walking the runway during the program. I think the event did not only aim for the appreciation of visual and culinary arts fusion but also the appreciation of fashion as well. I honestly did not get that but being surrounded by elegance and glamour was enough to put me in a good mood. Here's a sample of an entry:


The above photo is J.Cuppacakes' Gime me S'more. It is inspired by a heartwarming painting of a mother and a child. This is a Chocolate Almond Brownie cupcake topped with a classic comfort food S'more - Burned Marshmallow Frosting.

The event was also a competition. Each dish is to represent or recreate certain paintings that inspired the Chefs. Here are some of my favorites (and I'm yet to master my photography skills, if I have one. LOL):


This one is from Serye, called Filipino Mushroom Topped Laing, inspired by a painting of the Mayon Volcano. Yup, it's Laing, a Bicolano favorite of mine, "carefully laid on a delicately made pastry crust and topped with sliver of mushroom and siling labuyo"


Red Crab's Gambas Ala Remedios is from Red Crab Alimango House. This one is inspired by Ang Kiukok's Fisherman with Catch. This dish is a combination of gambas, minced shrimps, garlic, onions and bell peppers seasoned with oyster sauce, sweet chilli sauce and tomato sauce.


The Deep Fried Lapu lapu Xi Yan style dish in pomelo lemon dressing of Passion in Resorts World Manila is inspired by a Yin Yang fish painting.


Robby Goco's Greek Nachos by Cyma.


This one is my favorite. At first I thought they were mere decorations and that the dish has not yet come. But try to look closer... They are cute little gelatin! They are King Chef's Almond Fish Gelatin inspired from a painting A school of koi swimming in a pond with lotus.


Filipino delicacies (puto, Maja Blanca, and pastillas - pastillas!!! which I can't get enough of) that gave life to the Philippine flag is from Eastwood Richmonde Hotel.


Cancun margarita of Agave Mexican Cantina. I used this as my thirst quencher during the event. 


C2 Mango Vita from Cravings / CCA is a "fruity combination of ripe mango, cucumber and carrots with sugar syrup and shaved ice".


This one can you believe is inspired by a tattoo design? This Double Decker Cake by Chef Micheal Lopez ogCafe Maxims is from Impressions in Resorts World Manila.

And the winning piece for spot on interpretation... Too bad I wasn't able to taste this one, but according to my friend, it had this melt-in-your-mouth texture that didn't had any liver taste in it, though its main ingredient is a Duck liver. This one is also from Impressions in Resorts World Manila.




Impression Foie Gras is made of "Braised Veal Sweet Bread with pan fried duck liver and Risottto with Parsley Cream Sauce". This is inspired by the cheerful greens and yellows of a spring landscape painting.

I did mention that there where models, right?


It was not only the models who rocked the runway, all the brilliant Chefs behind each creation/masterpiece came out as well.


Here's a bird's eye view of the event held at the Plaza in Newport Mall. I took this photo after the event while I was at a coffee shop drinking tea latte and soothing myself from the effects of the margarita I told you about. But believe me when I say this, the venue was full packed during the main event.


And look, they even gave us a little box of chocolate to bring home. It was delicious!


You have no idea how intimidated I am being surrounded with elite people while I only have an iPhone in my hand to take pictures with. How I wish I had those big, bulky cameras so I'd look like a Pro, haha! Nevertheless, I was able to enjoy the night and is looking forward to attending more events like this in the future.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

© The Lady with a Pink Pen, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena